Monday, September 10, 2007

Big Brother - First Time

I met with my Little for the first time today (ok, I'm writing this a couple of weeks later and predating it). I drove to Stuart(Chuck)'s place on Malcolm X blvd, parked my car, and called upstairs to his mother. A brief encounter with a somewhat confused older woman in a wheelchair later (I'm not Bobby) and Stuart and I were on our way to the park near his house. I thought that it would be a good idea to walk around, check out his neighborhood, and see how he's livin.

We walked a few blocks to the park near his house and hung out on the jungle gym for a while. We mostly just talked, getting acquainted, and discussing his upcoming school activities. Stuart is a smart little ten year old and he really seems to enjoy learning in school. I'm loving this. He seems curious and eager.

At some point I became hungry and was really craving an apple. I asked Chuck if he knew of any place near by that might have fruit. He said he did. So we started walking. We went to six or seven local bodegga's, markets, and corner stores with absolutely no luck. A couple of them had a few banana's. There was no other fruit in site, and the local grocery is closed on Sunday's. So we hopped in the car and set out for fruit.

We ended up at Prospect Park in Park Slope. Stuart didn't seem to interested in the park at first, but then we saw the mammouth jungle gym and his face lit up a little bit. He immediately ran up onto the playground and before long I was chasing him around as he outsmarted and outran me time and time again. A little girl even invited herself to join in on the fun of running from and laughing at me attempting to catch up with two clever little kids.

After a while we decided to take a break and go check out where all of the balloon swords, hats, and belts were coming from. Let me just say that I never before realized how creepy clowns can be. Consider me convinced, children should not be left alone with clowns. Then all of the sudden Stuart walked off to a park bench across the way. There was a women sitting there with a little hand drawn sign advertising sketches for sail. Chuck immediately sat down and asked to be drawn playing basketball with a cell phone in his hand with a caption saying 'Nothing interupts my calls'. I ended up getting myself barefoot playing an acoustic guitar with 'Strummin' the blues away' written across the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment